
When I was about 8 years old some of my parents friends brought a puppy over as a Christmas gift. It was white and fluffy and so small. I loved it. We named it Taffy.
She was the friendliest dog. We played and played with her. My mom was a great sport and made wedding outfits for her and the dog down the street when we found out Taffy was going to have puppies. She had her first batch of puppies on April first. I remember well because my friend wouldn't believe me. She was sure it was an April fools joke.
She would wander the next door field with us and protect us from imagined danger. Once she jumped into the fast flowing canal and began to go down stream. I screamed for her and ran after her until a passerby assured me that dogs were good swimmers and she would be fine. She was.
One morning my mom backed over her. Taffy ended up with stitches and was pregnant at the time and lost the puppies. But soon she recovered and continued to be our favorite little puppy.
Taffy lived for years. When she died it was the middle of winter. At the time we had a cabin lot and my dad wanted to bury her up there. But the land was frozen and not easily accessed. So my parents did the logical thing. They wrapped her up in a box and put her in the freezer. I don't remember seeing her there. I'm pretty certain it was my grandparents extra freezer. There she stayed until the ground thawed and we were able to bury her up at the cabin lot.
And that is how we ended up keeping taffy in our freezer.
4 comments:
I remember hearing the story of burrying your dog up in some lot in the mountains. nice memories! Kelly and I LOVED our cats...to death...I believe we went through 3 different sets, dressing them in cabbage patch clothes, making them homes and beds out of our dresser, sneaking them inside the house and sometimes they get loose and hide, carrying them around as our babies. Now we get to have fun with our own hubbies and kids...
Cute photo! Sweet story - I can't believe how much Emily looks like you in that photo! Had it not been for the flooring (dead giveaway), I would have thought that it was her.
I loved Taffy! This is a very fun post! Thanks!
I loved reading about taffy. We also use our freezer has a pet cemetery; we lost Blueberry III just one month ago. Collectively, we have 5 fish in our "coffin" freezer. Each fish has its own envelop with a eulogy written on it.
Post a Comment